101 Great British Hauntings Part 6
A ghost ape, a phantom choir of monks and a famous clown are just some of the spectres MJ WAYLAND lists on his 101 Great British Hauntings this week
51. A spectral ape is just one of several spirits at Athelhampton Hall in Dorset.
52. A skeleton found in a secret chamber could be the cause of sightings of a phantom priest at Lyme Park in Cheshire.
53. A ghostly funeral cortege bearing the coffin of Lady Margaret Godolphin has been seen at Godolphin House in Cornwall.
54. At Ethie Castle near Aberdeen it is said you can hear Cardinal Beaton as he limps through its corridors with his leg in bandages.
55. Fountains Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales echoes to the sound of a phantom choir of monks.
56. Little Lawford Hall near Rugby once housed a ghost which was exorcised by 12 clergymen who spirited it into a glass phial.
57. Lindisfarne, of Holy Island, is said to be haunted by the ghost of St Cuthbert.
58. An 18th Century dandy haunts The Theatre Royal in Drury Lane as does the ghost of the famous clown Grimaldi.
59. The ruins of Wycoller Hall near Burnley in Lancashire still hold the ghost of a horseman who murdered his wife there.
60. Hermitage Castle in Scotland is haunted by the black magician Lord Soulis who was thrown into a cauldron of boiling lead after murdering the children of local villagers.
We will continue to “count ‘em down” next week with more of 101 Great British Hauntings!
MJ WAYLAND is an author, researcher and tutor specialising in paranormal and alternative subjects. He has an excellent blog called Walker of the Borderlands of Belief.