In our new feature My Real Phantom of the Opera, cast and crew of the theatrical and cinematic world kindly share their paranormal experiences. Today’s spooky tale comes from theatre lighting designer DOUGLAS KUHRT about the Cockpit Theatre in Marylebone in London.
After reading a number of your Spooky Isles articles (they’re great!), I wanted to share with you a spooky encounter I experienced in London many years ago. I have never really believed in the paranormal or anything of that nature, and I have worked in many theatres and venues in the West End and on Broadway during my career.
One day I was busy setting up props backstage at The Cockpit Theatre in Marylebone; between the two dressing rooms is a staircase that goes directly under the stage area.
All the lights were out down those stairs but I suddenly heard a noise, like something very heavy being dragged laboriously along the floor. As far as I knew I was all alone so I was quite startled, after a few seconds I nervously called down “Who’s there?!” The noise abruptly stopped and then an eerie cold chill went right through me.
Afterwards I saw the theatre’s security guard and told him what had just happened to me, he calmly said, “Oh that’s just our ghost, he’s a piano tuner, he got crushed to death under the stage years ago…. He’s alright if you just say hello to him.”, the security guard also went on to tell me that many people working at The Cockpit Theatre had doors mysteriously shut on them in the past too.
Not sure if the bloke was winding me up, but from then on I always said “Hello” to the phantom piano tuner, and I never did hear that noise again. The experience isn’t something I have ever been able to fully explain, though I must admit I haven’t felt such a strange and unusual presence while working in a theatre since.
Find out more about Douglas Kuhrt’s work at http://www.douglaskuhrt.com
If you have a ghostly or paranormal experience relating to the theatrical or cinematic world, and would like to share your spooky tale with Spooky Isles, fill in this form.
- Please note that we are only interested in experiences that have occurred within the UK and Ireland, the contents of your submission will be subject to review and editing if selected for publication. Be aware that only the most interesting and spine chilling stories will be shared on the site!
- We will never publish your email address and you may remain anonymous, upon your request.
We really look forward to reading your submissions!
You may also like to read:
- My Real Phantom of the Opera: The Apollo Victoria Theatre
- Interview with Della Farrant, Haunted Highgate November 2014 AUDIO
- Does Liverpool nightclub CCTV footage reveal supernatural activity?
- Hauntings in Whitechapel: Do Jack the Ripper and his victims still walk the streets?
- Whole lotta Vincent Price going on in London!
- PODCAST: David Farrant Interview
- Boo Tours’ Haunted West End Tour
- RAF Cosford and The Haunted Aeroplane
- Where was the Church Spiking Scene from The Omen?
- Enfield Poltergeist Vintage BBC News Report 1970s VIDEO